This morning I got up, started supper in the crockpot, made Nathan his breakfast, and cleaned up after Nathan's breakfast. I decided that I was in no mood to exercise. I just wanted to veg. Then I remembered that I needed to go get my car tags. I loaded Nathan into the car, and we went to the tag agency and got my tags. Barely any wait. Nathan was pretty good even though I didn't put him in a stroller. Nice.
We pulled into the garage, and I decided that maybe today was the day Monty needed to go to the vet. (You may remember that I took Gimli several months back and vowed that Evan would take Monty...yeah.) Monty is several months overdue for his vaccinations, but he's a dog. I figured I already had Nathan in the car, so I ran and got Monty, and we headed to the vet's office. Since our new vet is a walk-in clinic, I wanted to see how many people were waiting before going in, an easy thing to do since they have solid glass on the front of their building. Three people...not bad. I unloaded everyone, and we went inside. As we went in, one of the other patients was called back, so I was only behind two people. I naively thought that this would be a quick trip.
Nathan was in his umbrella stroller, and Monty, who is a very nervous dog, finally settled down. We waited about thirty minutes when Random Guy walked in with his two pit bulls, one of them a small puppy. Fine, whatever. Guy decides to sit right next to me, and there is about three feet of slack in his dog's leash. I am slightly unnerved. But, whatever, right? Then Shady Character and a woman walk in. Shady is holding a pit bull that is bleeding from its front legs. Nice. Monty slightly raises his head to observe the commotion, but Guy's pit bull is none too pleased with the situation and begins growling. Not very nice. The bleeding pit bull is taken back immediately, and Shady Character decides that he needs to show how wonderful he is with pit bulls by offering Guy's growling pit bull his bloody hand to sniff. Guy's pit bull is extremely displeased and growls louder. (Have I mentioned I am about a foot and a half away from growling pit bull??) I decided to move. I told Guy that I was just giving his dog some space to calm down, and Nice Friendly Lady helped me move Nathan's stroller to the other side of her while I dragged Monty from his place. Shady Character keeps walking up to Guy's pit bull and saying things like, "Go ahead, bite me," "I'm used to pit bulls; I raise them," "Here, smell my hand." Nice Friendly Lady and I are exchanging incredulous looks. I'm surprised Shady doesn't get bitten, but he had sufficiently riled the dog enough that they had to muzzle her to take her back. Turns out the pit bull that Shady Character had carried in had gotten mauled by her daughter/dog because she got too close to her puppies. Man, oh, man.
Needless to say, Nathan was very good at the vet's office. Who could get bored with a circus going on around them? Oh, Nathan was very good for 1 hour and 40 minutes at the vet's office. Our "quick visit" turned into a "long visit" once bleeding dog showed up. Monty was pretty good, too. However, Monty has ear infections in both ears. sigh It is always Monty. So, now I have wonderful medicine for the dog. I have to give him one tablet a day of the oral medicine, and I have to put drops in both ears and "massage thoroughly." Of course, Monty doesn't like taking medicine. I have to pry his mouth open, shove the pill as far back as I can, and hold his head up while rubbing his throat in order to get the pill down him. At least the drops went fairly easily. I'm just thankful for rubber gloves. Something about dog medicine grosses me out. I do not want even the slightest chance of it touching me. Some days I feel like I've already experienced the "mommy I want a dog but I don't want to take care of him" syndrome.
Anyway, by the time we got back from the vet, it was time for someone to eat lunch; then my neighbor and her little girl came over and ate, too. They just left a little while ago, Nathan went down for his first nap of the day, I went and did Monty's medicine, and now I am goofing off on the computer. Finally, I am getting to veg. ;-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment