Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Naptime Blogging

My children are taking a ridiculously long joint nap. :-) I have already taken a quick nap myself, gotten all the ingredients ready for supper tonight, and cleaned up the kitchen.
Let's see. I had a running tab last weekend of all the things I would write on my blog when I got home (we went to TX for Evan's bro's wedding), but time dulls the pain of agonizingly long rehearsals, crying babies, and twelve hours of travel in three days. ha
Evan played for the wedding, and Nathan was the ring bearer. We went to the rehearsal Friday night, and Nathan was wonderful...for the first hour and a half. I was in and out with Noelle, since she wasn't happy that we had taken her to some strange place with a bunch of strange people, so I wasn't able to keep up with Nathan as well as I would have liked. I put the blame mostly on the more-than-two-hour rehearsal, though. Of course, he wasn't horrible. He was just being a 3-year-old who is tired and hungry and being made to stand in the same spot while the bride tries to make up her mind about, well, most everything. Because, you know, weddings must be perfect. ;-) I should be ashamed. Anyway, they finally took the pillow away (after he was swinging it wildly by its strings), and he started crawling up and down the front steps and jumping around on stage. I finally stepped in (I was pretty distracted with Noelle) and took him into the fellowship hall. I was just about to lay down the law when I had a revelation. It was after 8 o'clock, my child (and everyone else in the rehearsal) had not eaten yet, and he was tired. So I gave him a hug and a pickle and encouraged him to try to do what they asked. He went back and practiced the "going out" like a good boy. Then the bride had us sit down to discuss more things. Noelle started fussing, so I took my kiddos and asked a sis-n-law to fix Nathan some food. :-)
Both kiddos slept great Friday night, and Saturday morning Evan told me that the bride wanted us there by 10:30 that morning. ha ha ha I said no. The wedding was at two, and pictures weren't until 11:30. I told him I would have my child dressed and there by 11:30. (She wanted everyone there at 10:30 to get dressed and ready). We were there at 11:30, and I set up camp in the nursery since I knew I would spend most of the day in there (and I was right). Really, by the end of the day, I felt very much like a nanny. I saw most of the wedding through the crack in the back doors of the sanctuary (the nursery was right outside those doors), and I even sat on the back row for a few minutes. :-) Nathan was very good. He walked (more like ambled) down the aisle, asked Caleb (the groom) where he was supposed to go, and only danced a wee bit whenever a Third Day song came on for the slide show. He played peekaboo with the pillow (I blame that all on Holly) and whispered, "Train!!!" whenever a whistle sounded in the middle of the ceremony. Oh, and he also laid down on the stage on the pillow for a few minutes, but, a boy's gotta do what a boy's gotta do!! I felt better when someone told me that the father of the bride said that Nathan was his favorite part of the wedding (the father was a bit, um, disgruntled with the bride's mental state during the flurried preparations).
I was able to go to the reception for a few minutes, but it was too loud for my tired and grouchy little girl, so I left and took my tired kiddos to MeeMaw and PeePaw's for some sleep. I was a little sad to miss out on the fun, but I suppose that is the life of a mom with little ones (and no Nonni around). Supposedly Evan danced with his brother, and I'm not sure if I should be happy or sad that I missed that. ;-)
Overall, it went well. We were all very happy to get home.
Last night Evan didn't have class due to MLK Day, so I got to go to a Charlotte Mason discussion group! It's a homeschool group as well, and I think I'm really going to enjoy it. I won't be able to go to the discussion group, but I should be able to be involved in other areas. We went to the zoo with them today, and there are a LOT of small children. :-)
Gonna runna! hee hee

2 comments:

Courtney said...

Now the real question is - did they tape the ceremony? I would love to see Nathan's antics!

Rachel said...

I was a bit sad that our camera was put on a tripod facing only the bride and groom, but there was another guy with a camera. I'm going to try to get a copy of that video and see if he got any of Nathan during the ceremony. :-)