Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Ready, set, BLOG!

Ha! Here we go...updates on us!
My allergies are horrible right now.
Noelle is hardcore teething. The tooth peeked through a couple of weeks ago (first top tooth) and refuses to come through any farther. Her gums are swollen and look generally painful. Oh, and she's had a good ole fever to go with it (102.5, anyone?). Yes, Naomi, my kiddos are addicted to fevers. ;-)
Nathan is completely and totally himself. :-) He loves to help me clean right now; I just can't wait until it actually pays off for me. ha He did do an awesome job dusting the piano the other day, though, and only broke the lightbulb on the lamp. I was just happy that he didn't crash the vase that was on the piano with all the marbles. It tipped but didn't fall. And, yes, I was sitting there watching it all. I was just too tired to care (and I might want a reason to get rid of the vase with marbles and eucalyptus).
Nathan still loves having someone read to him, and he's even starting to practice reading to Noelle...between the times he's trying his best to annoy her into screaming.
Nathan is a wonderful little boy. I love the light that comes into his eyes when he gets excited, and I love how often that happens. :-)
Nathan is plugging along with school, but we aren't really "that" structured about it. This morning school involved him going over the consonant rhyme while pointing to the letters on the fridge. I was washing dishes. He even went and got out my phonics book to look and see which letter came next (he knows it's not exactly like the ABC song; I don't think he gets that it's just the ABC's without the vowels...ha). I was just proud that he knew where to get his information. :-) Then he counted to thirty and got our Bible story book (an awesome book by Catherine Vos). We've been reading about David lately, and Nathan really enjoys it. I thought the language might be a little too much for him at first, but he loves it. Then we went over his memory verses. He has a love/hate relationship with learning new verses. He loves the fact that we get to memorize a new verse, but he hates the fact that I have to help him. ha Funny, but I've found that not looking at him helps. :-)
Noelle is walking around now. She is such a doll. Okay, a doll with a bit of an attitude. ha I feel like I haven't had the same girl in the last couple of weeks due to the teething. She head-bangs, too. She was even doing it at the library on the window. I'm learning to ignore it and let her figure out her limits.
Noelle has been very clingy lately, which just means that I don't get a lot done between mealtime and her naptime. She's still a cuddly sweetie. Today I finally got her out of bed after giving up on her nap, and I took her to my room since Nathan was watching the last of his video. We just laid on the bed and played, and she laughed and cuddled and was just so stinkin' cute.
In other news, I fired my doctor. Or, I guess I could just as easily say that he fired me...from what, I don't know. I actually called his office before taking Noelle in for her one-year to see if he would be okay with splitting up her shots and giving her the MMR by itself or if I needed to look elsewhere. His nurse called me back and said to bring her in and he would talk to me about it. Hmph. Shoulda known what that meant. He will not even budge but just tried to talk me out of my decision. And he told me to stop breastfeeding since it was pretty useless and unnecessary at this point. Supposedly it had nothing to do with the fact that Noelle is off the bottom of the chart. He said that he wasn't worried about her weight because it's hard for them to catch back up at this stage in their development (crawling/walking/climbing) but that he recommends that to all his parents (how many, the TWO who are probably still nursing at one year??). And he said she needs to be drinking vitamin D cow's milk. I didn't mention that we drink raw milk. I did buy some vitamin D drops (not his suggestion...my own peon thinking...) then remembered that SHE'S IN THE SUNSHINE...unlike most of his daycare/preschool children. (Yes, that was a jab; I'm sorry...kind-of.) I'm so glad I have a blog on which to vent. :-p
Evan has school three nights a week, but we're doing pretty well. We have a our on weeks and off weeks, but overall it's going okay.
Hmmm, I think that's all for now.

1 comment:

@lici@ said...

A Rachel Post! Hooray!

Since you're the one who pays your doctor, I say you fired him. Good for you! :-) I love that our doc tells me what he thinks we should do, but then acknowledges that we--being the parents--get to choose. And then he actually lets us do so. Limits of authority are good to know.

I have chicken broth cooking today and was thinking of you. I'll be home every day but Tuesday this week, if you have time to talk!