Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Field Trip #1

Philbrook Art Museum is a gorgeous place. However, I do not advise anyone to take 18 fifth-graders with them if they plan on enjoying the museum. I am more exhausted now than I am after teaching all day.

The museum is a house that was donated and turned into a museum. The house is more like a mansion, and the gardens around the house are beautiful. There is water running through the gardens, and there are little bridges and things everywhere. I don't really know how to describe the house, except that the people who built it traveled through Paris to find the architecture that they wanted in their house: vaulted ceilings, huge terraces, and water fountains in the main rooms. (Although I don't know if all of their ideas came from Paris.)

My students were less than perfect, and I felt really bad for our guide because half of the time she was talking to the backs of their heads. I finally got tired of threatening them to be good and just accepted the fact that I cannot make them do anything. Our guide was pretty understanding of the fact that they were kids, but the other classes were much better. On the bus ride home, one of my boys got himself yelled at because he poured water on a girl's head. Now the other teachers do not want him to be able to go to Incredible Pizza. I told him that he better go apologize to them all, so we'll see what he does. AAAAAaaahhhhhhhh.

The good thing is that my kids know I am this close (I showed them) to keeping the majority of them from going to Incredible Pizza (our end-of-the-year field trip), so they are quietly doing their work. :-)

No comments: