Sunday, December 09, 2007

Not as bad

Today was a little better. His temp actually went back to normal for a couple of hours, a first for this weekend. Of course, tonight his temp went up to 103 degrees. :-( I guess I should be happy it wasn't 104. I've already put him in bed, and he hasn't gotten up yet. We'll see how this night goes.
Last night was a little better than the night before. Evan and I took turns rocking Nathan from 9:30 to midnight, letting him sleep that way since he wouldn't sleep in a bed (ours or his). We gave him more medicine around midnight then all went to bed (our bed). He was up and down for about thirty minutes or so, until the medicine really kicked in; then he slept pretty well, only waking up once around 4:30 when I gave him some more medicine. This morning his temp was only 100 when he woke up (the last two mornings it was 102); and, after giving him some Tylenol around lunchtime, his temp went down to normal. That lasted until about 5:30 this evening. :-( I just feel so bad for him. He has an appointment tomorrow morning at 9:45, so we'll see what the doctor says then. On Friday the nurse made him an appointment "just in case" for tomorrow so I wouldn't have to worry about getting in if necessary. I'm thankful she did that. I just hope the roads aren't too bad in the morning.
Evan has been studying as much as possible this weekend. I kind of feel bad for him, too. He has finals this week, and he hasn't gotten much sleep this weekend. He actually slept on the couch some last night because he couldn't sleep with Nathan in the bed.
The only bad thing about Nathan sleeping in his crib is that I can't keep tabs on him all night. He's been in there for about an hour now, which is more than the past two nights. Hmmmm. I just want him to get a good night's sleep.
Okay, now for some venting...yes, I realize this whole post is somewhat of a "vent." :-) Recent events have changed my ways of coping. When Nathan has been sick in the past, I have always rested in the fact that "God will take care of him." That, and I probably thought that it was all normal, to be expected. However, in a recent situation, I thought the same things with the outcome being completely unexpected. I mean, the chances of that happening are slim, right? So it won't happen to me?? Yeah, doesn't work. Soooo, last night I was holding my child who was burning with fever thinking, "Normal, right? Just a childhood illness, right?" For some reason, that did not help. On to, "God will take care of him," right? Ummm. Well, that doesn't always take the form I would like. Hmmm. So, yeah, I don't really know what to do about that. I hope God doesn't take it the wrong way. I guess I'm still dealing. See how this vent is different?
Positive, positive, something positive. Oh, we took the picture for our Christmas cards. We actually didn't have the dogs in the house, for good reason, so this year will be without the dogs. Can you believe it? Kind of sad. It makes our family look small. Oops, supposed to be positive. Hey, we got the picture taken, by ourselves, with a camera timer, and a 17-month-old!! He was laughing because mommy probably looked a little goofy running back and forth to push the button then jump in the picture. ha
Here is a video of my kiddo during his "fever free" time today.

1 comment:

@lici@ said...

Ick. I hope you get a good report from the doc this morning. Brian used to run really high fevers when he was ill; that's not fun at all.

Honestly, the hardest thing about trusting God is trusting His will and providence without knowing if that will include what we are most desperate for. But in the end, what else is there to do? We either trust Him and rest in the peace of His omniscience and omnipotence, knowing He loves us more than we can comprehend, or we don't trust and then fret over the coldness of fate, with no assurance of anything. And, truthfully, if we don't trust God when we're unsure of the outcome, do we really trust God at all?