I found the cutest little rake/shovel/hoe set at Big Lots on Saturday (used my 20%-off coupon!!) and got it for Nathan. I almost put it back but remembered that our neighbor had given me money for the kids' Christmas presents, so I was able to buy it without feeling guilty! ha Nathan was ecstatic when he saw his tools, but we had to wait until today to get out and use them. :-)
After church, lunch, and a clothes change, Nathan and I headed into the garden to work. Last year I put my garden in the center of the dogs' kennel; this year I'm going to put cement blocks in the center and put the garden around the edges of the kennel. So I am digging up the ground around the edges and trying to make my raised bed around the outside instead of in the middle.
Nathan got busy with his shovel and threw quite a bit of dirt around. :-) Most of the dirt went the opposite direction of what I wanted it to go, but I decided that the volume of dirt wasn't enough to make an issue over. He kept telling me that this was "hard work," and he was just so happy. He took several breaks when he would find earthworms or other bug larvae in the ground, and I couldn't help but smile at the top of that little blonde head bent over a handful of wiggly worms.
After a bit he took a break and went to rake the hay around the dogs' houses. He worked at that for quite a while (all the while commenting on what a "lot of hard work" it was) and then came back into the kennel to help me again. I taught him how to hold and use a hoe, although I had to dodge a few times when he got overzealous. ha
Evan finally came out holding Noelle (he had been studying inside while Noelle napped), so Nathan and I had to end our garden work. I love working outside with him; outside I never seem to get frustrated or hurried with him, and I can just enjoy the wonderful boy he is. :-)
One thing I do know: I've got to figure out what all these other grubs in the ground are called. My boy needs to know.
Sunday, January 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment